Creative Outlet Titles you do NOT want to choose for your poem or short story!

Cinders posted on May 26, 2008 at 12:58AM
The following is a list of titles that one should refrain from using. They are also words that should be used as sparingly as possible in poetry/fiction (at least, for beginning writers).

Love
Hate
Death
Life
Friendship
Emotions (and anything under this category, namely "Sad" or "Happy," etc)

Why do I tell you not to use these as titles? Because they are generic, and inspire nothing in the reader. They are dull. And they are EVERYWHERE. Have you ever googled "love"? Or "life"?

If you can google the title of your poem and have over 1000 results, odds are you should change it.

Creative Outlet 5 replies

Click here to write a response...
over a year ago IsabellaAzuria said…
well another thing you shouldn't use as a title is "my grandma's underwear" lol
idk
love... love.. i use it all the time cuz it's what i want in life but cant have :S
Good advice though... i think it would be more than a million results lol
last edited over a year ago
over a year ago Cinders said…
But what IS love? Other than a word, a cliche, that people think they understand?

Dig deep-- find specifics, not generalized ideals, to reach for. First of all, what KIND of "love"? Romantic love? Familial love? Platonic love? Beyond that, love from/for whom? There are a million ways to say "I love you" without using the word love.
over a year ago khfan12 said…
ur right cinders.
over a year ago blisslikethis said…
what is love indeed? the whole point of creative expression is to find new ways of expressing common emotions. i mean, there's a big difference between "true love always" and "Love is not love, which alters when it alteration finds, Or bends with the remover to remove. Oh no! It is an ever fixed mark, that looks on tempests and is never shaken".
over a year ago Ovybo said…
Yeah, true. I never thought about that!

I think Brotherly love is only punching each other or something.
And if you say "I love you" It could mean "I wan't to marry you" or
"I love you like my mom" or something.